This module creates an in-depth understanding of the role of data storage and database systems in information management as well as the fundamentals of relational database architecture, management systems and techniques for database application development.
This module will ensure learners meet the following objectives:
- Introduce the use and importance of data storage and database technology in information systems.
- Provide the learner with data modelling skills.
- Build the practical skills required to define and manipulate data in a relational database.
Introduction to Databases:
- The need of data storage in information systems.
- Introduction to Databases;
- History of Database Systems.
- Rationale behind Database Systems.
- Role of Databases in information systems;
- The requirement for a DBMS (Database Management System);
- DBMS Architecture.
- Future trend of Databases.
- Introduction to Web Database.
- Basics of Database Application Development.
- Basic of NoSQL
Data Modeling and Data Normalisation
- The Relational Model and Relational algebra.
- Terminology for Relational Model.
- How information is represented in the Relational Model.
- Properties of database relations.
- Primary Key, Foreign Key and Candidate Key of a Relational Model.
- Purpose and advantages of views.
- Use Entity-Relationship modelling in the database design.
- Conceptual data model, logical data model and physical database model.
- Entity integrity and referential integrity.
- Purpose of normalisation and how it can be used when designing a relational database.
- The Normalisation process: 1st, 2nd and 3rd normal forms.
Structure Query Language
- Purpose and importance of SQL.
- Utilise SQL to create database, define tables and constraints.
- Utilise SQL to query database.
- Utilise SQL to update, modify and delete to manipulate data in a database.
- Advanced SQL features, Using grouping, joins and aggregation, etc..
- Manage privileges and control access using SQL commands.
- Introduction to Database Administration.
- Database security features: Access control, user privileges and roles in Databases.
- Database administration tasks.
- Data protection and Data retention issues.
- Database backup and recovery