The aim of this module is to enable the learner to build on the knowledge and skills acquired at stage one through computational thinking and problem solving and Mathematics for Computing 1. The module ensures the learner is sees mathematics as an integral part of their studies and is necessary as part of successful progression both horizontally and vertically within the programme.
This module will ensure learners meet the following objectives:
- Recognise the applications of mathematics in computing.
- Learn about functions and their use in computing.
- Use calculus to calculate derivatives.
- Produce solutions to real and evolving problems.
- Engender a critical mind-set in computing and computing based problems.
- Linear functions
- Quadratic functions
- Cubic functions
- Exponential and logarithmic functions
- Quadratic curves: circles and ellipses
- Trigonometric functions
- Derivative of polynomials
- Standard derivatives formulas: the product rule, quotient rule and chain rule
- Applications of derivatives: rates of change, critical points, maxima and minima
- Definite and indefinite integrals
- Applications of integrals