The aim of this module is to provide leaners with the key concepts of information systems that enable organisations to execute their strategy and ultimately meet customer needs through the use of IT.
This module will ensure learners meet the following objectives:
- Explain the fundamentals of information systems.
- Understand the impact of information systems on managerial decision-making.
- Create an awareness of supporting IT infrastructures and the impact of emerging technologies on information systems.
- Appreciate the ethical issues involved in information system design and management.
- Introduce the importance of security and privacy in relation to Information Systems.
Introduction to Information Systems
- Information Systems: What are they?
- Types of information systems
- The technical components of information systems
- The systems development lifecycle
- Alternative methods for building information systems
- Databases and information management
- Agile information system infrastructure
- Enterprise applications
- Information systems and the environment: cloud computing, virtualised computing and grid computing
Information Systems Management
- Management in Organisations
- The decision-making process
- Efficiency and effectiveness metrics
- Using information systems to make decisions
- Artificial intelligence and business decision making
- Information systems and business processes
Information Systems, Organisations and Strategy
- Organisations and Information Systems
- Enterprise Architecture
- How information systems impact strategic decision-making
- Using information systems to achieve a competitive advantage
IT infrastructure an emerging technologies
- IT infrastructure and components
- Hardware and Software Platforms
- Disruptive and emerging technologies
- IT management process and issues
Ethical and Social Issues in IS
- Understanding ethical and social issues related to Information Systems
- Information society and ethics
- The moral dimensions of Information Systems
- Introduction to digital and digital-native business models
- Digital business strategy
- Supply chain management
- Customer relationship management
- Digital marketing
Securing Information Systems and an End User
- IS security fundamentals
- Business value of security and control
- GDPR and digital privacy
- Frameworks for security and control
Technologies and tools for IS security