The purpose of this module is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill, and competence in relation to equality and diversity in Early Childhood, to enable the learner to facilitate optimal development of the child, ensuring benefit from education and care on an equal basis supporting diversity through promoting a sense of belonging and identity.
At the end of the module learners will be able to:
- Understanding equality and diversity concepts as relevant to Irish Society
- Analyse approaches to diversity education including, assimilation, multicultural, intercultural and anti-bias
- Explore equality and diversity terminology; including prejudice, discrimination, racism, sexism, and ableism etc.
- Examine current legislation on Equality and Diversity
- Examine the role of the adult in promoting children’s individual and group identity and their sense of belonging
- Carry out an audit of the ECCE setting, activities and materials pertaining to equality and diversity
- Design a mission statement for the ECCE setting with respect to equality and diversity
- Discuss the importance of having an equality and diversity approach in an ECCE setting
- Investigate the consequences of ignoring equality and diversity issues in the ECCE setting
- Reflect on own attitudes, values, beliefs, and assumptions