The purpose of this module is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill, and competence in the practices and principles underpinning the role of a Special Needs Assistant to enable the learner to work effectively under direction in a special needs assisting capacity.
At the end of this unit learners will be able to:
- Follow appropriate health and safety procedures in the workplace
- Summarise key elements of child protection policy
- Work within principles of good practice in e.g. Confidentiality, inclusion, independence, boundaries, etc.
- Understand the role of the special needs assistant in relation promoting the health and safety
- Reflect on one’s own values and attitudes in working with children with special needs
- Explain the rights of children with special needs in relation to personal autonomy
- Understand the importance of on-going training, reflection, supervision, and support
- Demonstrate an ability to work effectively with others in promoting and maintaining good practice