Professional Development for Staff in Higher Education
‘You live a new life for every new language you speak.’ -- An old Czech proverb
Here at Dorset College, we believe in paving the way to proficiency in English and setting you on that path to a new life.
Our small, intimate groups are designed to cater for all students’ needs and to ensure that everyone gets the results that they want, from general fluency in the English language to polishing off Business English skills for a job application or interview.
We are always very happy to welcome groups from abroad who are looking for a rich cultural experience in a positive environment where they can improve their English and life skills.
While the content of each course is carefully designed and prepared, we continuously try to adapt the programme to suit the needs of each group and, more importantly, to each individual learner.
Each of our highly-qualified teachers has a number of years of teaching experience, both in Ireland and abroad. Their job is to involve each student in all tasks, from speaking to writing, in order to promote a balanced approach to language learning.
This is done through a combination of specific topic-related tasks within all language skill areas to develop your English skills for special purposes such as in business or customer services.
We look forward to welcoming you to Dorset College to share our love of language learning with you!
This specialised course is aimed specifically at equipping participants with a particular interest in the area of university administration or management to deal with a variety of business-related topics and situations. It is suitable for people who wish to improve and develop the vocabulary and language functions necessary to operate in an English-speaking higher education environment, or engage with partners or clients through English.
Attendees will be involved in various tasks including interviews, meetings etc. leading to competence in the academic context.
Occasional workshops will be conducted to expose students to external speakers while providing them with supplementary information on certain areas such as negotiating and reaching consensus as well as general academic topics.
- general email correspondence
- completing application forms
- personal statements to present skills and strengths, and work experience
- CV preparation and job applications
- responding to complaints
- making small talk - getting to know clients
- describing educational background and professional experience
- discussing educational pathways and providing information on different options
- participating in meetings
- conducting interviews
- presenting and discussing project plans
- dealing with customers over the phone
- interviewing clients to get background details and gather information on professional profiles
- following interviews and meetings
- listening to complaints to try to identify solutions
- analysing educational texts for key information
- identifying important information from print media e.g. the Internet, College brochures, newspapers etc.
- gathering relevant details from CVs and application forms
- Focus will also be placed on providing relevant vocabulary for dealing with these situations, along with the necessary grammar to communicate effectively both in written and spoken forms.
In Dublin Dorset College offers accommodation in one of the city’s newest Student Residences. Point Village is an attractive, contemporary building located in one of Dublin’s coolest areas. Facilities include a gym and fitness studio, a cinema, games room, study rooms and pleasant courtyards for relaxation. Dublin’s tram line, the Luas, passes close by, and a short walk will bring you to Dorset College close by in Dublin 1 city centre.
- Fully equipped kitchen
- 7-8 bedrooms each with private bathroom
- Shared living room
- Shared, fully equipped kitchen and dining area
- Cinema room, TV and Games Area
- Gym and Fitness Studio
- Wi-fi and Study Rooms
- Bed linen and set of towels provided (students advised to bring extra towels)
- Laundrette (Coin operated self service laundrette on site, €4 per wash)
- Electronic door access, 24 hour cctv and on-site management