The Nursing Studies Course is designed to prepare students for academic programmes in the nursing sector and/or employment in the health sector as a care assistant.
The Aim of the Nursing Studies Course is to:
- Provide foundation skills and entry requirements to access degree courses in Nursing.
- Develop a range of personal and interpersonal qualities necessary for work in a range of care environments.
- Be capable of creating and maintaining appropriate relationships with the client, their family and other professionals involved in their care.
- Acquire specialist knowledge, skills and competence in the role of the care assistant.
- Reflect on your abilities and aptitudes to work as a care assistant.
- Demonstrate good practice in working as a care assistant.
The Nursing Studies course will be delivered over one academic year. A work experience programme of one day a week during the course provides an opportunity to merge classroom learning with practical experience under the tutelage of experienced and qualified professionals.
On successful completion of the Nursing Studies Course students will be awarded the following:
- Major Award: (QQI) Nursing Studies Certificate Level 5
- Certificate in Manual Handling
Students who successfully complete the full-time Nursing Studies course will have many professional and academic opportunities available to them. Employment opportunities include working in a professional care environment such as Day Care Centres, Nursing Homes and Hospitals.